Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Bad Habits

Before I left, everyone was telling me I would come back a different person. Teachers, friends, my bishop, that was the immediate response to learning about my SA (yes, I did just abbreviate study abroad SA). I knew they were right to a certain degree, maybe a little more mature, a little more well rounded, much more traveled. I guess I didn't really know what to expect as far as changes in myself go. I'm still not sure. You'll have to tell me once I come back.
What I did not know was all the bad habits I was going to develop, such as:
-Staying out late. Now, responsible adults don't start freaking out. I am totally safe. Vienna is a safe city and I avoid bad places. But I have developed this habit of not coming home until 10, or 11, or 12, or 1. Which means I don't go to sleep until 12 or 1 or 2. And anyone who knows me knows that I need my sleep. Terribly irresponsible of me.
-Shopping too much. I am constantly surrounded by stores. Since I pretty much walk everywhere, I walk past every store. There is always something that catches my eye. So I walk in to just look. Then it turns out to be better than a though. It would be the perfect present for so and so or go beautifully with my favorite skirt. 20 euros later I emmerge with more stuff. I have too much stuff. Some days I want to blow up all my stuff. And then buy new stuff.
-Eating something sweet after every meal. I really am doing better on this one. I promise. But there are stands and shops and guess what they all offer? Tarts, tortes, cakes, strudels, and other assortments of things I shouldn't eat. But they taste so good.
-Wasting hours online. 1 or 2 hours a day to email, blog, facebook and other such things. Things that connect me with the people I love back home. But I do overdo it. I can really only justify so much time online.
-Listening to my iPod constantly. I like music when I am on public transport, walking on the street, or writing things. I don't think music is evil. I love music. But I think that I may be spending an excessive amount of time tuned out of the world.
-Scratching my many mosquito bites. When summer came so did mosquitos. And then they bit me. Mean mosquitos. I scratch the bites and then the itch more. Or bleed.
-Wearing the same shoes every day. No, this is not a flaw in my personality or terrible decision. But I do have tan lines from my white sandals. And they aren't cute. Nor are they discreet. If you were to look at my foot you would say "Oh hello tan line". They are that bad.
I am sure there are others, but those are the one that have been irritating me lately. Badddddd Hannah.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hannah,
    Your travels abroad sound very real. Sorry about all the ants--hope you got to switch apartments. The sweets you're eating do sound delicious. Is the shopping really all that great?

    I'd like to invite you to become a member of www.PinkPangea.com, a new community for women travelers to get real travel information geared specifically to women.

    It would be great if you could post about your travels in Austria, providing anecdotes and photos from your time abroad as well as tips for women travelers who also want to get out there.

    I look forward to hearing more about your experiences abroad!

    Hope to hear from you soon,

    Rachel
    rachel@pinkpangea.com
    www.PinkPangea.com

    ReplyDelete