Sunday, May 16, 2010

2 week update

In like every email I've gotten in the past 2 days, I've been asked for some sort of "Hannah update". So i figure you, my adoring reader, are also longing for an update. Hence my new (only) tradition of "The every other Sunday, 2 week update". Starting today:

Being a grownup is hard.

I don't like having to manage my own money. It is a small cause of stress daily. I want that, How much is that, Can I afford that, I need to go to an ATM, Should I pay with cash or with my card, What is the conversion rate like etc. Being in charge of my own finances is not nearly as fun as I thought it would be.

I am learning to like Frau. She is old (so old my parents seem young) but she really loves having us in her house. She's really sweet. She likes to make sure that we are taken care of. Her English isn't very great, but we communicate well enough.

My daily schedule is something like this:
Wake up at 8
Catch bus at 9, change on 2 street cars, get to school about 9:45
Writing or Photography class from 10-11:20
Lunch/study for German
1-3:00 German
3-9:30 Enjoy Vienna
9:30 go home
10:00 get home and spend the rest of the night writing in my journal, studying, etc.

Adjusting to Austian life has proved easier than I thought. The first two days were awful, but I am learning about the different way of life here. I have mastered the short shower. I go to the billa and but lunch or dinner for the day there. I love public transportation. I get to walk so many places, it's great. Life in Vienna is good.

College is harder than I thought. I like my photo class. That link on your right is my photo blog for the trip. I adore writing class. Adore it. I am making this super awesome journal that I write in and paste things in. It is going to be so cool when I'm done. German class is hell. I hate it. I don't really want to learn German, but I am learning it anyway. I got a B on my first test. I was weirdly excited about it.

The group is nice. Sometimes I fit right in, but sometimes I am a lot younger. Like that 2 of them are getting married in the next 6 months. When they talk about how they want to get married or plan their weddings, I am a lot younger.

The weather is cold. Very cold. And it rains. I don't like raining cold. I think 2010 is the year of the eternal winter. I am going to buy a warmer coat and rainboots once I work up the nerve to spend the money. I may never work up the nerve though.

I miss my friends and family back home. Surprise surprise, email is not quite enough to build a relationship on. I am, however, mastering the long-distance relationship.

Europeans hate me. I am sorry I am an American. Very sorry. Please don't hate me until you get to know me.

You know that quote "Do something everyday that scares you". I am. And I am loving it.

That's your 2 week update. I hope it fulfilled all expectations.

2 comments:

  1. Hannah, you're awesome. You're very brave. Remember, most Europeans do want you to be embarrassed to be an American. Don't be. Also, your link to photos didn't work. If you're ever really, really bored, I'll send you on a photo scavenger hunt in Vienna. Sound fun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fixed my link! Photo scavenger hunt would be super super fun.

    ReplyDelete