Monday, May 10, 2010

Public Transportation

For the past 15 years, my primary mode of transportation has been luxury cars. Lorin’s Lexus, and my mom’s various luxury cars bought by Lorin (she’s gone through BMW, Audi, Mercedes and is currently driving a Lexus). On occasion I walk, but only if I’m walking somewhere in pepperwood. And sometimes I take trax downtown, because it’s a pain for my mom to have to drive 2 hours roundtrip so I can get downtown. But basically, I get places on leather seats listening to satellite radio. Except in Vienna, I walk or I ride public transportation in all it’s glory, plastic seats, bad smells, and lots of strangers. But here’s the thing: I love it. I never want to drive a car again. I love figuring out how to go where I want to. I like to know that I can do it. I like looking out the window and pretending to be bored out of my mind like everyone else, but secretly loving it. I love the feeling of "if we look out the window we won't have to look at eachother. We can't look at eachother." I love the way the handholds swing like nooses. I like looking out the window. I like following my gut when I get off and ending up the right place. I like watching people sway to and fro with inertia. I like public transportation. Who would have thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment