Sunday, May 30, 2010

4 week update

I can’t believe I’ve been here for 4 weeks. That amazes me. It feels like I’ve been here so long. I’ve just fallen into the rhythm of life here. At the same time though, it feels new enough that life is exciting. Every day something different happens that is new and exciting.
I am still loving my writing class. Writing is fun. I really love the journal assignment/project. My journal is awesome. It is getting really fat from all the things I’ve glued in. And the edges aren’t nice anymore. There are pieces of paper sticking out various places and various amounts. It looks really neat. It is one of my most prized possessions.
German class is still pretty awful. We’ve started doing grammar. I can basically take all the years I’ve spent learning French grammar and place German grammar on top of that. It makes it really easy. But the class lasts forever. It is 2 hours long. I always think I am going to die and often wonder how I can possibly last through the class. Somehow I manage though.
Waterford gets out this week. That scares me a little. Sophomore year is officially done. This is been one of the greatest years ever. I loved (most of) my classes. I did love what I was learning. I made the most amazing friends and we had so much fun together. And everyone (but me) got their licenses and drove me everywhere. It was just a perfect year. And it’s over. I’m growing up and college is looming on the horizon. But I am learning that I can do it. I can be a grownup. I can do lots of hard things.
Vienna weather is like a crazy person who needs meds to stabalize. Some days, it is simply beautiful. Nothing is better than Vienna in the sun. It is not too hot, but just right. It makes life good. But some days, it rains. And that sucks. Some days are both days. Those days are just a pain.
I get into pretty much any museum in Vienna for free. I have a pass from the school that gets me into all the Hapsburg museums. And because I’m under 19 I can get into most of the rest for free. It’s really sweet. So I go and spend an hour or so and just see the museum piece by piece. I don’t get burned out but I get to see some incredible things. It’s fairly perfect.
I bought a jacket, scarf, skirt, and sandals. I look so European. Some times people come up to me and speak German. It’s the highest compliment someone can pay me. It means I look like a European. That is like winning. But anything is better than being an American. There is a possibility that I speak with a poor British accent sometimes so as to not be an American. Just maybe.
I started a new book: The bullfighter checks her makeup by Susan Orlean. I love love love it. You should read it. It is the perfect summer book. But once I finish it I’m screwed. I didn’t bring any other books with me. So I’m going to have to do all my summer reading the last 3 weeks of summer. That will suck. Mother, if you love me, you will send me The crucible and The grapes of wrath.
I am doing much better at taking care of myself. I rarely get lost and when I do I can find my way back easily. I have mastered public transport, but it’s not as fun anymore. Now I just want to get home, not spend 20 minutes on the streetcar. If you blindfolded me and put me in a random spot in Vienna and then took off the blindfold, I could find my way home from that random spot. That is how much better I am doing at taking care of myself.
I hope that everyone is doing well. I miss and love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment