Saturday, July 24, 2010

Heaven on Earth

Guys. I've had the best day ever. Seriously. I found paradise.

First, Amelia and I went to the globe museum. The only globe museum in the world. There should be more. I've always had a thing for globes. I think it dates back to watching cartoons as a child. I remember one episode of Recess where they had a globe that opened and had bubble gum in the center. Since then I've had a thing for globes. When my great-grandma died last year, I got my great-grandpa's glob. It sits in my room. It is seriously my most prized possession.

So I walk into the globe museum today. The first thing I saw were a pair of globes. What? Globes in pairs? Yes, you see globes used to come in pairs. One for the earth and one for the heavens. This particular pair of globes each had a 4 foot diameter. They belonged to Louis XIV. My mind flashed to images of him turning his globe, much to Colbert's dismay. Globes are symbols of  power. The world seems so small and manageable. Someday I would like to take a trip to a place chosen by spinning the globe and placing my finger. Someday.

The globe museum was filled with globes from all over the world from all time. The globes all came in pairs. I found myself marveling at humanity. We, as a race, have such drive to understand. The instruments used to measure, the way the globes of the earth and the heavens were made. I was awestruck at the dedication to knowledge so many had.

Once we were done in the museum, Amelia and I went to the national library. As I walked in, it went like this:



This is what it looks like when not animated:



Seriously. I just stood there with my mouth open. Heaven is the Austrian national library. There is no question about that. The wood was goregous. Elegant patterns from the grain and the color that wood ought to be. Everything was gold. It was pretty gold. Not gaudy gold. It was floral themed. Beautiful. But best were the books. A hall, this center room, and another hall of books. Two floors of this. Not paperback books. No. Leather and gold bound books. An unfathomable amount of beautiful books. I have never been happier. I sat down and marveled. And marveled. I kept repeating to myself "I can't believe this exists". It is clearly the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I never wanted to leave. I left my heart sitting in the Austrian National Library. I need to find myself a beast to give me one just like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment